will be flying to hong kong and china tomorrow for work purposes… been trying to pack but it’s been a rather lazy process… i’ve changed my money but am thinking whether to change more HKD just in case… this will be the second business trip that i’ve gone on for the company (hoping to be able to do more tho… hrmmm…), the last being CES 2008 in las vegas (good memories that one!)
other than that… i just realised i haven’t blogged since MUSE! LOL sorry… been quite busy at work and all… sometimes i don’t even tweet as much so blogging has therefore taken a very backkkkk step…
will update more once i’m back from my trip… hee!
i can’t remember the exact point in time when i started listening to uber brit-rock band Muse but i rem the first time i was introduced to one of their songs… in fact it was through playing guitar heroes 3 on the office xbox 360… i was taking turns to play with one of my ex-colleagues and we were wondering what song to choose… then another of my ex-colleagues walked by and said ‘why don’t you try knights of cydonia?’ with a bit of a giggle… i rem being skeptical but still gung-ho to try it… roflol don’t think we managed to finish the song on our first try… but it became an obsession to pass that song on medium (or was it hard?) and my ex-colleague managed to do it before i did… i didn’t know that that was one of muse’s epics until much later…
then i was truly introduced to muse by my obsession with twilight two years back… the author is a big, big fan of the group and in fact their songs have been featured in both movies to date… so since i was obsessed with twilight… i bought the OST, listened to it… then decided to check out muse properly (via youtube videos) and realising that they are indeed marvelously fantastic! as always… i always kinda share my obsession with people around me and since i kept playing their songs over and over, my youngest sis became influenced by me to listen to them…
by this time GHWT was released and the both of us (youngest sis and me) were having much fun playing the tracks inside… till we found muse’s track – assassin – and decided to try it out… hahahaha what a disaster!!! we were playing on hard and i sucked at drums and she wasn’t too good at guitar… so we swapped to play the song… and still was a disaster!! so we practiced and practiced, watched youtube videos of other people playing until one day… we were able to complete the entireeee song!!!! i could still remember the sense of achievement both of us felt that day… ahahhaha what fun!
in the midst of these… muse released their latest album ‘the resistance’… i checked out their now-famous ‘HAARP’ gig at wembley and found out that they are one of the best acts to catch live… but i never thought that i would be able to do that until one fine november day last year when i read my friend’s tweet about muse coming to singapore to headline ‘big night out’ in 2010!!!! hahaha my tweets back to her were almost of the ‘fan-girl’ variety… but i decided there and then that it would be a great present for my youngest sis (who turned 21 last year)… and so i booked the tickets (younger sis had to pay lol) in november and started to countdown to february this year…
to say that it passed in a blink of an eye isn’t exactly true… but finally the day came!! wednesday 3rd feb 2010… i took leave on that day (so i don’t have to rush to the indoor stadium plus did some CNY errands) and went to the event at around 7pm…
as there were standing area tickets… there was already quite many people when we reached and i would say we were lucky to be able to grab one of the last few program booklets and a kids tee for souvenirs… before going in to catch the opening acts saosin (last song) and rise against…
since we didn’t know what time muse was starting, by the time rise against left the stage and the piped in music played… everytime it went quiet the audience started cheering… i was really happy when they were setting up the stage coz i saw two big drums (my sis said it’s called timpanis) which meant that they would play the first part of the Exogenesis symphony (coz i saw the same setup in clip from their gig in Japan… ;P)
but we had to wait till 10pm before the lights really dimmed!! whatever i was feeling at that point – hungry, needing to go toilet etc – disappeared completely when the intro video came on…
my goodness… my youngest sis said that she felt quite surreal watching muse live coz it was exactly like watching the youtube clips we were so used to seeing… but LIVE!! =D i didn’t really recognise the older songs (having only been initiated into the muse religion after black holes and revelations…) but they were still great and totally enjoyable!! i jumped, sang and enjoyed myself quite thoroughly!! i think the band didn’t really expect that big of a response to their gig coz in the few moments that they were talked, words like ‘you guys are crazy!’ kept coming up… lol!!
there were so many moments of ‘lovelovelove’ but the one that really stuck to me was when muse played ‘starlight’ and matt bellamy stopped singing at the point of the first chorus to let us the audience sing ‘your hopes and expectations, black holes and revelations’… it didn’t feel like i was in singapore hearing the gorgeous lyrics reverb around the stadium!
epic isn’t it? (clip taken from someone as i didn’t record this song – too busy enjoying lol)
and of coz they ended off the gig in the exact way i hoped – first part of Exogenesis followed by Plug-in Baby and Knights of Cydonia!!!! i must add that i screamed the most girly scream i could ever do when the first longggg riff from PIB came on (having heard the same in the wembley gig…) XD my younger sis was looking at me with a look of ‘wtf?!’ hahahahaha i just think that song is gorgeous (and the reason how i know about the song? you guessed it… GH5 roflol)… and to follow that with KoC was just zomg lah!
by this time i was just recording the gig for the audio bit… ahahah if you got the chance to watch my videos it’s like seeing an earthquake but in tempo to the song as i was jumping up and down for the last two songs…
We Are the Universe (intro music)
Supermassive Black Hole
Map of the Problematique
Interlude + Hysteria
United States of Eurasia
Time Is Running Out
Exogenesis: Symphony Part I (Overture)
Plug In Baby
Man with a Harmonica intro + Knights of Cydonia
after so many youtube clips watching them play live elsewhere… i finally got the chance to hear sooo many muse tracks including KoC live!!!!! woot~!!! the gig was everything i hoped for and more – definitely a dream come true since i didn’t know of them when they first came in 2007…
thanks muse for the amazing gig – you guys RAWK!!! i will remember this for a longggggg time and i hope to catch them again either in europe or singapore!!! =D /mehearts (i think my german friend thinks i’m a bit crazy enthu… and yes i am! ;P)
this thought came up to me the other day as i was probably day-dreaming about stuff in the moments that my head decides to be more quiet… and so in the course of this blog post i will try to recall what i did in the years preceding this year to see what i have done, what has happened and what i have achieved…
i’ll just do 2000 – 2005 first… ;)
- graduated from poly and found a job as a writer/producer for vivamusic.com (a now-defunct online portal of music and entertainment news)
- decided to go australia for studies. it was a die-die must go thing… i refused to look at other courses in singapore… i wanted to get out!!
- if my memory serves me well… i started making arrangements to go australia for my bachelor degree studies
- quit the first job that i had after i graduated from poly (vivamusic.com) because of that as well…
- can’t rem but perhaps my ‘sorta’ ex-bf broke up wif me in that year too? hrmmm…
- decided to go QUT for my studies
- attended the briefing session held at my poly and met my friend there… she would go on to be my housemate and one of my best friends =)
- LEFT FOR AUSTRALIA!!!! it was the BESTEST day of my life at that point in time… =D i can still bring up that emotion of being at the airport and eager to just step through the departure gates!
- also it was the first time i took a plane… and the first time i travelled ALONE!
- though my fren and i did make loads of contingency plans (think there were four at one point?) in case we weren’t able to meet up in brisbane…
- first semester in QUT and staying in brisbane was quite fun mixed with a bit of culture shock coz brisbane was soooo much more laid back compared to singapore
- hung out with a bunch of singaporeans (i know… =P) for the semester and we had loads of fun gatherings during that time…
- most memorable was shifting houses in the middle of the night becoz two of them didn’t want to pay the rent for an empty room… hahaha ‘zao lor’
- took a road trip from brisbane to sunshine coast and down to gold coast… roundabouts are not a good place to figure out whether you’re lost or not…
- got together with km
2002 – 2003
- school was fun with alot of projects and no exams… i clever right! ;)
- visited sydney for three days, discovered that the opera house looks white in photos but actually wasn’t… >=/
- volunteered at one of brisbane’s hospitals manning the children’s play area one day every week. seeing kids of different ages being treated for diseases like cancer etc was quite a sobering experience
- helped out at a local theatre production doing the on-screen visuals… it was an interesting experience i must say…
- volunteered as one of the student-editors for the (now defunct) Fineart Forum… interviewed my first artist… i rem he was Japanese and i had quite a hard time trying to figure out what to ask him… lol
- cleaning up the house at the end of our rental was an experience… i think i was semi-high from smelling cleaning liquid fumes in the shower… also a good tip for you: always clean the blades of the fan coz they do check! ;P
- worked at expat living magazines for around three months and decided i didn’t want to do so much writing
- worked at a realllly small home and living magazine that closed down after one month (heh)
- worked at haagen daz as an ice-cream seller… something that i’ve always wanted to do for some strange reason
- worked at borders as a bookseller… another thing that i’ve always wanted to do for some strange reason…
- had more fun at borders compared with haagen daz.. but working at an F&B outlet really showed me what singaporeans are reallllly like… heh.
- worked as a freelance designer/visualiser at a realllly small ad agency… it was fun for a while…
- went back to borders for a while… i think?
- found a job at a chemical company dealing with textile dyes etc… located in tuas and uber out of the way… -_-”
- sorta had some fun creating brochures for them… cut and pasting textiles and liasing with printers…
- in a stroke of coincidence managed to get myself the job that i’m working at now… =D
we’re in the second week of 2010 and i would like to share the list of goals that i have for this year… it’s a consistently evolving list that i might make adjustments to. also some of the points were taken from last year’s list since they’re still areas i would like to consistently remind myself of…
this list together with some additional points are now up on the side of this blog as well so that i can be reminded of it… it is also in my iPod Touch AND my moleskine… hehehehehe…
should i start off with ‘how time flies…’? no i am not because this year it didn’t feel like that… i wasn’t too preoccupied with stuff to let time fly by just like that so this year it felt like time was quite right in its movement… last day of 2009 and i feel like i should take time out to think back a little of the year that has just gone past… =)
i started off the year by reading and setting myself goals (which is written on the side of this blog as well)… i would not say i have achieved everything but i’m happy with what i have managed to do so far… the focus this year seemed to be building up my courage and disciplining my thoughts in all ways and i’m happy to say that i have managed to accomplished a bit of both (since this is a never-ending process, i can’t say i’ve completed it right? ;P)
also i made a conscious decision to plan and go to europe for a holiday next year and the process for that is coming along pretty okay… saving money, reading up on the places to go etc… i’ve made some progress in my italian and next year i will have to focus on conversations instead of grammar… (otherwise i’ll be mute in italia next year! lol)
i started twittering which meant less blogging (whistles…) but at least it freed my brain up from storing some thoughts in my head… ahhaha… developed stronger relationships with some friends =D, maintained and had to let go of another (lasted since sec schl days… but it made me feel so much better)
for the coming year i’ll be keeping the three points brought up by steve pavlina in my head… “truth, love and power”…
and as i’m typing my post… my present is STILL not here yet… =( so much for precision and efficiency… sigh i hope it’s not lost in the mail!! =/ *fingers and toes crossed now*